Happy Memorial Day! Thank you for all that have fought for our country!!
Located in Lynbrook, Pearsall's Station delivers fine dining in a casual atmosphere.
How it all began
Most residents of our village know that Lynbrook is an anagram for Brooklyn, with syllables transposed, but few know out village was once named after one of Long Island's oldest and most distinguished families, the Pearsalls, and that it has an interesting history dating to before the American Revolution.
Much of the land was owned by one family, the Pearsalls. The Pearsalls had been among the first European settlers to come to Long Island. They arrived in 1639, only 30 years after Henry Hudson explored the Hudson River.
By the time our village got its start in 1785, the Pearsalls had already been on Long Island for almost 150 years. But unlike families such as the Baldwins and the Hewletts, they had not had a place named after them. They tried naming the Hell Gate area (in Queens Country) Pearsalls, but the name did not stick. In about 1830, Wright Pearsall purchased some land at Hempstead Avenue and Merrick Road, at the intersection we today call The Five Corners.
A historical marker marks the spot where Pearsalls opened a general country store. Wright Pearsall's store became so widely known that the corners and the surrounding community soon became known as Pearsall's Corners. The Pearsall's Corners stuck for about 40 years until just after the Civil War. At that time, a post office and a railroad station were built and the simpler name Pearsalls came into use on postmarks and train schedules.